You Need The Following Documents If Your Kid Is 18 Years

You Need The Following Documents If Your Kid Is 18 Years
You Need The Following Documents If Your Kid Is 18 Years

It can be an emotional moment for your child to turn 18 years. Particularly if your child is still dependent on you, adulthood arrives far sooner than you may have anticipated.

Apart from the affective dimensions, you will encounter specific legal facts together. In particular, once your child turns 18, you lose all parental rights about them, including the ability to see their financial, health, and educational information. 

This implies, for instance, that you would not have the authority to make medical decisions for your damaged child. This can be fixed, but it will need putting certain legal documents in order. When a child turns 18, you need these documents.


  • Your child is legally deemed an adult when they reach 18, and you won’t be able to access information about their finances, health, or education unless you’ve submitted the necessary legal documentation.
  • Even if the other adult is their parent, everyone over the age of 18 needs to obtain written consent before another adult can see their medical records.
  • If an adult becomes incompetent, you can make choices about their health with a medical power of attorney (POA), and you can handle their business affairs with a durable POA.
  • You can decide for another adult regarding life-extending medical care and organ donation with the help of a living will.

FERPA Release

Before educational records, including grades, transcripts, and disciplinary records, can be shared with parents, students 18 years of age or older must give written authorization under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, also known as FERPA. Students who attend a school that gets financing from the U.S. Department of Education are subject to this law.

Parents are informed of this need by the majority of public high schools as well as public and private colleges and universities. In the end, though, you have the responsibility to ensure that your child signs a release granting you access to their information.

Legal documents typically need to be notarized, witnessed, and signed.

HIPAA Authorization

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, also known as HIPAA, forbids the sharing of medical information about an adult with anybody who isn’t listed in a signed release. The fact that the adult is your child won’t matter. Your child has the option to sign a complete release or place restrictions on the information that can be disclosed.

Since you might not be aware of your child’s exact medical condition in advance, the majority of specialists advise obtaining a full blanket authorization. The signed authorization should be with you so you can provide it to any physician, hospital, or other healthcare practitioner as required.

Health Care Proxy

When your child turns 18, you also need to get a medical power of attorney, sometimes known as a healthcare power of attorney or a healthcare proxy. A durable power of attorney for healthcare is another name for it (instead of merely a durable power of attorney, which refers only to business matters). All those titles pertain to a document that grants you the authority to decide how your child will be treated.

The medical power of attorney usually doesn’t take effect until your child is unable to make decisions about their own health, either physically or intellectually. However, each state has different requirements, such as whether the form needs to be seen or notarized. A living will and a medical power of attorney are not the same thing.

Living Will

A living will, sometimes referred to as an advance directive, specifies your child’s preferences for organ donation and life-extending medical care. Having this plan in place might lessen the suffering that could result from family members disagreeing on how to react to a disaster, such a car accident.

Durable Power of Attorney

In the event that their parents become incapacitated, are just overseas (for example, studying abroad), or require your assistance with their businesses for any other reason, children can also offer their parents a lasting power of attorney to manage their business affairs. You can sign tax returns, renew your automobile registration, access bank accounts, and carry out other operations with a durable power of attorney.

Your child can give you complete access or limit the kinds of transactions you can do. They can also give you a power of attorney with a timeline that includes start and end dates.

Access to Financial Records

Many institutions allow students to offer parents access to tuition and housing accounts without the formality of obtaining a power of attorney if your child is away at school and that’s all you really want. Naturally, you have access to any joint accounts that you and your child have without the need for further authorization.


A lawyer is not always necessary to create the majority of the documentation required when a child reaches 18, but some individuals prefer to do so in order to ensure that everything is accurate. In any case, it’s crucial to have a conversation with your child over a meal before asking them to sign anything. 

Talk to your child about the purpose of the form or paper, take into account their worries, and generally try to treat them like the adult they have grown into. After all, the need for these documents stems from their coming of age.